Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent: A Time of Morning

Today is the first day of Lent, and everybody has been asking me what I'm "giving up" this year.  Last time around, I gave up alcohol which, although great for my cells, didn't really do that much for my soul.  Instead of repeating that process by arbitrarily picking something else I like and giving it up, I'm going to try to take on something new instead.

From this point forward (or, at the very least, till Easter), my mornings are sacred.  As much as I understand how necessary it is to be still and center myself on things of substance at the start of the day, I love to sleep... and I
really love to snooze.  This is not conducive to morning prayer - especially when I tell myself that I will just pray in my bed... laying down... with my eyes closed... curled up in the fetal position.  It's time for a new routine.  For this Lenten season, I'm giving the first full hour of my day, everyday, to God.  I guess that means I'm giving up my snooze button for Lent this year...




No comments:

Post a Comment